[BBC] Senior academic staff (ZAP vacature) on SINGLE CELL OMICS

Stein Aerts stein.aerts at kuleuven.vib.be
Wed Oct 2 13:23:27 CEST 2019

FYI: we have an open PI position at the Center for Human Genetics in Leuven to start your own research group focused on single-cell omics and bioinformatics !
Deadline: 21st of October.
https://www.kuleuven.be/personeel/jobsite/jobs/55322305?hl=en&lang=en

Cheers,
Stein

SINGLE CELL OMICS

(ref. ZAP-2019-123)

A full-time Senior Academic position in the domain of Single cell genomics is available in the Department of Human Genetics at the University of Leuven. Biological and biomedical research is shifting from multicellular analyses to single cell analyses. This type of research requires new computational and artificial intelligence-based methods for the analysis of large datasets. We seek to appoint a new Senior Academic staff member in this area. The candidate will also be affiliated with and play an important role in the newly established Single Cell Omics Institute. It is the mission of the Department of Human Genetics, within the areas of human genetics, neurogenetics and cancer genetics, to diagnose, treat and counsel patients, to conduct excellent research and to offer an up-to-date education curriculum. It is the aim of every staff member to use the newest genetic and molecular technologies in order to improve our understanding of human disorders, at the service of our patients and society as a whole. We aspire to be an international centre of excellence within the field of molecular genetics, and to offer a platform of genetic technologies that can support clinical and fundamental, both national and international research groups. We put our clinical services and scientific knowhow at the disposal of our patients, by making diagnoses and by giving them (therapeutic) advice and treatment. We also reflect on the societal, ethical, and psychological impact of new knowledge and clinical practices in the field of human genetics on individuals and on our society
Duties

Research

The research is situated in the domain of human genetics/genomics. The candidate will be an expert in the development and implementation of innovative computational and artificial intelligence-based methods for the analysis of large ‘omics’ datasets from individual cells. The research aims to understand the biology of human cells during normal development, ageing and/or diseases.

• You strive for excellence in your research and thus contribute to the further scientific development of the department.
• You will start a new research group to further expand.
• You will be a motor in the consolidation of the Single Cell Institute of the University of Leuven (KU Leuven).
• You supervise PhD students at an international level.
• You work closely together with other research teams inside and outside the department.
• You contribute to the further development of novel national and international collaborations of the Department of Human Genetics.

Education

The candidate will be appointed at the Faculty of Medicine and takes up teaching assignments (in English or in Dutch) in this or other faculties. You ensure high-quality education, with a clear commitment for the quality of the programme as a whole.You also contribute to the pedagogic project of the university through the supervision of Msc. theses and as a promoter of PhD students.
Profile

• You are holder of a PhD degree on a topic related to the research domain eg. molecular biology, cell biology, (bio) medical sciences and with a clear focus on computational biology and bioinformatics during the PhD or Postdoctoral research.
• You have a strong research record in a relevant field of study. The quality of your research is evident from publications in prominent, international journals in the domains of genetics & genomics, development of computational methods or applications for single cell omics and/or spatial (single cell) data analyses.
• International experience is an important asset.
• You have already proven that you are capable of acquiring competitive funding.
• You have good teaching and training skills. Experience in an academic teaching environment, as lecturer or as supervisor of MSc. and PhD students is recommended.
• You have a cooperative attitude and you are a strong communicator, to a specialized and lay public alike.
• You possess organizational skills and leadership (management) capacities within an academic context.
• You have a thorough knowledge of spoken and written English.
• The official administrative language used at KU Leuven is Dutch. If you do not speak Dutch (or do not speak it well) at the start of employment, KU Leuven will provide language training to enable you to take part in meetings.
•  Before teaching courses in Dutch or English, you will be given the opportunity to learn Dutch resp. English to the required standard.

Offer

We have a full-time position available in an intellectually challenging environment. KU Leuven is a research-intensive, internationally oriented university that carries out both fundamental and applied scientific research.It is highly inter- and multidisciplinary focused and strives for international excellence. In this regard, it actively works together with research partners in Belgium and abroad. It provides its students with an academic education that is based on high-quality scientific research.

You will work in Leuven, a historic, dynamic and lively city located in the  heart of Belgium, within 20 minutes from Brussels, the capital of the European Union, and less than two hours from Paris, London and Amsterdam.

Depending on your record and qualifications, you will be appointed to or tenured in one of the grades of the senior academic staff: assistant professor,associate professor, professor or full professor.
In the case of a postdoctoral fellowship, you can be asked to finish your fellowship first. For this period, you will be appointed as a part-time assistant professor.

KU Leuven is well set to welcome foreign professors and their family and provides practical support with regard to immigration & administration, housing, childcare, learning Dutch, partner career coaching, …
To facilitate scientific onboarding and accelerate research in the first phase a starting grant of 100.000 euro is offered to new professors without substantial other funding, appointed for at least 50%.
Interested?

For more information please contact Prof. dr. Joris Vermeesch, tel.: +3216345941, mail: joris.vermeesch at kuleuven.be<mailto:joris.vermeesch at kuleuven.be>. For problems with online applying, please contact solliciteren at kuleuven.be<mailto:solliciteren at kuleuven.be>.
You can apply for this job no later than October 21, 2019 via the online application tool <https://webwsp.aps.kuleuven.be/esap/public/ui5_ui5/sap/zh_erc_esol_go/index.html?sap-ui-language=EN&vacaturenummer=55322305&toepassing=HVY>