[BBC] Registration open for ELIXIR-NL Training: Technical Data Stewardship, 2-4 December 2019, Amsterdam, the Netherlands

Celia van Gelder celia.van.gelder at dtls.nl
Tue Oct 22 16:43:20 CEST 2019

Dear colleague,

Please find below the information for our ELIXIR-NL Training on technical
aspects of Data Stewardship.

Course: Technical Data Stewardship
Date: 2-4 December 2019
Location: Amsterdam Science Park Congress Centre, Science Park 123, 1098 XG
Amsterdam.
Course fee:  Registration is free of charge
Registration page:
<https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/elixir-nl-training-technical-data-stewardshi
p-registration-77268192243>
https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/elixir-nl-training-technical-data-stewardship
-registration-77268192243

Course description
We will explore the ELIXIR Data stewardship wizard and see how one can
employ and adopt it towards a community or research project. We will set the
first steps on the path to FAIRify metadata by means of linked data. And
finally we will see how FAIR data can be used in computational workflows and
how to gather provenance data while working with data assets. The training
is organised by ELIXIR-NL and will be given by DTL, ELIXIR CZ, SURF and
Wageningen University.

Target audience
The training is targeted at data stewards, data scientists and research
software engineers who would like to deepen their knowledge on concepts and
practical implementations of data management/stewardship tools. We assume
that you are familiar with programming in a language like Python, R or
Matlab.

Learning outcomes
Participants will gain insight into the Data Stewardship Wizard how to
employ and adjust the tool towards a special use case. They will learn about
the principles of data modeling and making data FAIR by means of linked
data. During the course we will apply these technologies to a real world
data set. Participants will know afterwards how to approach their own data
and can set first steps on the FAIRification process. Finally participants
will know how to manage data and metadata in iRODS and how to employ data
and metadata stored in iRODS in calculations on a remote compute cluster.

Technologies
ELIXIR Data stewardship wizard; Linked data; iRODS; python; SURF compute
clusters

Prerequisites
Own laptop; Bash-shell, login to VM by ssh; Elementary knowledge of python

Draft programme

Monday December 2, 2019 - 12:00-17:00 (onsite & remote training)

Trainers: Rob Hooft (ELIXIR-NL, DTL), Robert Pergl (ELIXIR-CZ, CCMI-FIT),
Jan Slifka (ELIXIR-CZ, CCMI-FIT)

*	12:00 - arrival with lunch
*	Introduction to Data management plan
*	Introduction and practical demonstration of the features of DSW:
user-view and Data-steward view
*	Hands-on session

Tuesday December 3, 2019 - 09:00 - 17:00

Trainers: Ben Schaap (Agrosystems Research, WUR), Erik van den Berg (WDCC,
WUR), Jasper Koehorst (Systems and Synthetic Biology, WUR), Anand Gavai
(WFSR, WUR)

*	Linked data training
*	Introduction to Linked Open Data
*	Exercise 1: pencil & paper exercise
*	Presentation on SPARQL and wikidata
*	Hands on real data, putting everything into practice

Wednesday December 4, 2019 - 09:00 - 17:00

Trainer: Arthur Newton (SURFsara)

*	iRODS and compute

You can find all the information and registration possibilities here:
<https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/elixir-nl-training-technical-data-stewardshi
p-registration-77268192243>
https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/elixir-nl-training-technical-data-stewardship
-registration-77268192243

Please spread this announcement in your organisation as you see fit.

Best regards,

Celia van Gelder

Dr. Celia W.G. van Gelder

Programme Manager DTL Learning

Training Coordinator ELIXIR-NL

ELIXIR Training Platform Leader

tel. +31613375327

e-mail:  <mailto:celia.van.gelder at dtls.nl> celia.van.gelder at dtls.nl

websites:  <https://www.dtls.nl/> https://www.dtls.nl/,
<https://www.elixir-europe.org/platforms/training>
https://www.elixir-europe.org/platforms/training

skype: celia.van.gelder

Office: DTL | Jaarbeurs Innovation Mile (JIM) | 6th floor Beatrixgebouw |
Jaarbeursplein 6 | 3521 AL Utrecht
Postal address: Postbus 8500 | 3503 RM Utrecht

While I may be sending this email outside my normal office hours, I have no
expectation to receive a reply outside yours.