[BBC] Wanted: Bioinformatics Lab Manager (MSc or PhD)

Bas E. Dutilh bedutilh at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 09:31:44 CEST 2022

Dear colleagues,

I recently moved to the Cluster of Excellence “Balance of the Microverse”
at the Friedrich Schiller University in Jena where I founded the Viral
Ecology and Omics group (VEO). We focus on metagenomics and microbiome
modelling with a particular focus on the role of viruses and bacteriophages.

*We are now looking for a Bioinformatics Lab Manager to support the dry lab
activities of the VEO group.*

For more details, please email me. Check the link for further details
including an application link:
https://jobs.uni-jena.de/jobposting/ad8e538b469960841c8634247e83601c954676640

Best regards, Bas

Your responsibilities:

   Install, update, and maintain the group’s software, create patches,
   raise issues if needed.
   Maintain databases on our system, manage/update database download
   scripts (see for example https://github.com/MGXlab/cirtap).
   Advise and help group members, including those with little experience.
   Create and maintain pipelines for often-used computational tasks.
   Establish and maintain best practices and dry lab rules, provide
   documentation, instruct students who use our computers in these best
   practices.
   Contribute to course development (see for example
   https://github.com/MGXlab/Viromics-Workshop-MGX).
   Collaborate productively with experimental and computational researchers.

Your profile:

   - A MSc or PhD degree in bioinformatics with a focus on (meta-)
   genomics. Experience with bacteriophages is beneficial.
   - Experience with Linux, Bash, Python, R, Git, Snakemake, Conda, Slurm.
   - Experience with database maintenance and/or data stewardship is
   beneficial.
   - Experience with hardware (computers, HPC) is beneficial.
   - Enthusiasm and talent for working on interdisciplinary projects.
   - Excellent communication skills, ability to work in a team and to
   interact with people from diverse nationalities and scientific backgrounds.
   - You have a sense of responsibility, organisational skills, and ability
   to contribute to a friendly and collaborative academic working environment.
   - Languages: English and German.

We offer:

   - Embedding in the VEO/MGX groups, a highly collaborative and energetic
   team of international scientists in viral ecology and metagenomics.
   - A comprehensive continuing education programme for personal
   development, individual qualification and development measures.
   - Jena – City of Science is a lovely and lively town with a vibrant
   local cultural agenda. Jena is among the most liveable cities in Germany.
   Situated on the Saale River and surrounded by the famous Thuringian Forest,
   this city is ideal for lovers of nature and hiking.
   - A family-friendly working environment with a variety of offers for
   families: University Family Office ‘JUniFamilie’ and flexible childcare
   options (‘JUniKinder’ program).
   - FSU’s occupational health promotion scheme (
   https://www.uni-jena.de/en/Gesundheit) and a wide range of university
   sports activities.
   - Attractive fringe benefits, e.g. capital formation benefits (VL), Job
   Ticket (benefits for public transport), and an occupational pension (VBL).
   - Remuneration based on the provisions of the Collective Agreement for
   the Public Sector of the Federal States (TV-L) up to salary scale E 13
   (depending on the candidate’s personal qualifications) including a special
   annual payment in accordance with the collective agreement.

--
Prof. Dr. Bas E. Dutilh <http://tbb.bio.uu.nl/dutilh>
Viral Ecology and Omics Group        | Metagenomics Group
Biology and Bioinformatics <https://tbb.bio.uu.nl/>
European Virus Bioinformatics Centre <http://evbc.uni-jena.de/> | Utrecht
Bioinformatics Center <https://ubc.uu.nl/>
Friedrich Schiller University Jena <https://www.uni-jena.de/en/>   | Utrecht