[BBC] Empirical evaluations of large language models for bioinformatics education and research - ISCBacademy webinar, Thursday, November 9 at 11 am EDT

BeNeLux bioinformaticians forum bbclist at psb.ugent.be
Tue Oct 17 07:34:38 CEST 2023

Subject: Empirical evaluations of large language models for bioinformatics education and research - ISCBacademy webinar, Thursday, November 9 at 11 am EDT
Dear all,

The ISCBacademy webinar on Thursday, November 9 at 11 am EDT will be hosted by the ISCB Education COSI.

Stephen Piccolo, from the Brigham Young University, will talk about “Empirical evaluations of large language models for bioinformatics education and research” (see the abstract below).

You will find the information on how to connect at  https://www.iscb.org/iscbacademy.

You are most welcome to join us and spread the news among your colleagues.

Kind regards,
Patricia, Russell, and Wai Keat (ISCB Education COSI chairs)

--
Abstract: Large language models (LLMs) have ignited great interest in the bioinformatics community. Many of us are interested in their potential uses (and misuses?) in research and education. The Piccolo Lab is undertaking empirical research to answer three such questions. 1) How well can LLMs translate human-language prompts into functional computer code? 2) How well can LLMs translate code snippets from one programming language to another? 3) How effectively can LLMs act as virtual assistants to students who are learning to write code? We have addressed each of these questions in the context of introductory bioinformatics and biostatistics education at the undergraduate level. In this seminar, I will describe our findings and discuss potential practical implications for education and research.
--

[SIB logo]
Patricia Palagi