[Seminars] PSB event reminder

contact at psb.vib-ugent.be contact at psb.vib-ugent.be
Sat Nov 28 11:10:01 CET 2009

Calendar Name: seminars
Scheduled for: Monday, November 30 2009, 11:00 - 12:30
Event text:    Prof Dr Karin Schumacher

	       Heidelberg Institute for Plant Sciences (HIP)
	       University of Heidelberg

	       GERMANY
Details:       "The V-ATPase-an engine for transport and traffic"

	       ABSTRACT
	       Compartmentation allows the simultaneous occurrence of
	       biochemical processes in different reaction spaces and
	       necessitates the exchange of material via membrane
	       transport or vesicular intermediates. In my
	       presentation, I will focus on the V-ATPase, a proton
	       pump found throughout the endomembrane system of all
	       eukaryotes and will demonstrate that it is not only
	       important for secondary active membrane transport but
	       also for membrane trafficking. Specifically, I will
	       discuss the importance of the Arabidopsis V-ATPase for
	       the dynamics and identity of the trans-Golgi
	       network/early endosome as well as the contribution of
	       the V-ATPase at the tonoplast to vacuolar acidification
	       and transport.