[Seminars] PSB event reminder

contact at psb.vib-ugent.be contact at psb.vib-ugent.be
Sun Sep 19 11:10:01 CEST 2010

Calendar Name: seminars
Scheduled for: Tuesday, September 21 2010, 11:00 - 12:30
Event text:    Alisdair R. Fernie

	       Max-Planck Institute für Molecular Plant Physiology

	       Potsdam-Golm
	       GERMANY
Details:       "Metabolomics from fundamental understanding to
	       marker-assisted breeding"

	       ABSTRACT
	       Metabolomics approaches enable the parallel assessment
	       of the levels of a broad range of metabolites and have
	       been documented to have great value in both phenotyping
	       and diagnostic analyses in plants. These tools have
	       recently been turned to evaluation of the natural
	       variance apparent in metabolite composition. Here, I
	       will describe exciting progress made in the
	       identification of the genetic determinants of crop plant
	       chemical composition, focussing on the application of
	       metabolomics strategies and their integration with other
	       high-throughput technologies. The Zamir Solanum
	       pennellii introgression lines will be used as a case
	       study and I will illustrate the value of this approach
	       by demonstrating a few examples whereby we have been
	       able to identify the genetic factors underlying
	       important agronomic and nutritional traits. Whilst work
	       in this area is currently carried out at the level of
	       fundamental science I will conclude with an outlook of
	       my personal perspective of its applied uses.