[Seminars] PSB event reminder

contact at psb.vib-ugent.be contact at psb.vib-ugent.be
Sat Nov 26 11:10:01 CET 2011

Calendar Name: seminars
Scheduled for: Monday, November 28 2011, 11:00 - 12:30
Event text:    Prof Natasha Raikhel

	       Center for Plant Cell Biology &
	       the Institute for Integrative Genome Biology
	       Department of Botany and Plant Sciences
	       University of California

	       Riverside
	       USA
Details:       “Chemical Biology:Towards a Systems View of the
	       Endomembrane system”

	       ABSTRACT
	       Although it is known that proteins are delivered to and
	       recycled from the plasma membrane (PM) via endosomes,
	       the nature of the compartments and pathways responsible
	       for cargo and vesicle sorting and cellular signaling is
	       poorly understood. Such highly dynamic processes are not
	       easily approached genetically. To define and dissect
	       specific recycling pathways, rapid-acting chemical
	       affecters of proteins involved in vesicle trafficking,
	       especially through endosomes, would be invaluable. Thus,
	       we identified chemicals affecting essential steps in
	       PM/endosome trafficking by utilizing the intensely
	       localized PM transport at the tips of germinating
	       tobacco pollen tubes. We screened diverse chemical
	       libraries for those that interfered with pollen
	       germination and tip growth. We found that many also had
	       effects in Arabidopsis roots for which there are several
	       well-characterized marker proteins that cycle to and
	       from the plasma membrane. Recent results from our
	       screens will be discussed.