[Seminars] PSB event reminder

contact at psb.vib-ugent.be contact at psb.vib-ugent.be
Thu Feb 23 09:10:01 CET 2012

Calendar Name: seminars
Scheduled for: Thursday, February 23 2012, 11:00 - 12:30
Event text:    Prof Marnik Vuylsteke

	       VIB, Dept. of Plant Systems Biology
	       Ghent University

	       Gent
	       BELGIUM
Details:       “Genome-wide association study of endoreduplication in
	       Arabidopsis thaliana: the first harvest"

	       ABSTRACT
	       The genome-wide association approach (GWAS) overcomes
	       several limitations of traditional linkage mapping by
	       (i) providing higher mapping resolution, often to the
	       gene level, and (ii) using large samples of populations
	       in which commonly occurring genetic variations can be
	       associated with phenotypic variation. The availability
	       of thousands of single-nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs)
	       allows whole-genome scans to identify haplotype blocks
	       significantly associated with quantitative variation. We
	       have applied this GWAS approach, in combination with
	       linkage mapping, to identify novel genes involved in
	       endoreduplication in Arabidopsis thaliana.
	       Endoreduplication is the process where a cell replicates
	       its genome without mitosis and cytokinesis. Here, in
	       this presentation, I will discuss “the first harvest” of
	       this GWAS study.