[Seminars] PSB event reminder

contact at psb.vib-ugent.be contact at psb.vib-ugent.be
Tue Jun 11 11:10:01 CEST 2013

Calendar Name: seminars
Scheduled for: Thursday, June 13 2013, 11:00 - 12:30
Event text:    Prof Philip Gilmartin

	       Plant Molecular Genetics
	       Faculty of Science
	       University of East Anglia

	       Norwich
	       Norfolk
	       UNITED KINGDOM
Details:       “Floral heteromorphy in Primula: genetics, genomics and
	       gene identification”

	       ABSTRACT
	       J Li1, 2 . M. Webster1, 2, M. Smith1, 2, J. Cocker1, 2,
	       O. Kent1, 2, J. Wright3, D. Swarbreck3, M. Caccamo3, P.
	       M. Gilmartin1, 2

	       University of East Anglia 1, John Innes Centre 2 and The
	       Genome Analysis Centre 3, Norwich Research Park,
	       Norwich, UK.

	       Floral heteromorphy is an out-breeding mechanism that is
	       characteristic of, although not limited to, the
	       Primulaceae.  The phenomenon was described in detail by
	       Charles Darwin, but first documented over a century
	       earlier. In Primula species, individuals develop one of
	       two forms of flower, known as pin and thrum.  Pin
	       flowers are characterised by a long style that presents
	       the stigmatic surface at the mouth of the flower, and
	       contain anthers attached half way down the inner wall of
	       the corolla tube.  Thrum flowers have a short style.
	       half the height of that found in pin flowers, and
	       anthers attached to the inner corolla wall at the mouth
	       of the flower.  This reciprocal positioning of male and
	       female reproductive structures promotes insect-mediated
	       cross pollination.  These developmental characteristics,
	       and other features of floral heteromorphy, including
	       differential pollens size, as well as a sporophytic
	       self-incompatibility system, are controlled by a
	       co-adapted linkage group known as the S locus.  Pin
	       plants are homozygous recessive s/s; thrum pants are
	       heterozygous S/s.

	       With the objective of identifying the genes at the S
	       locus that control style length, anther height and
	       pollen size, we have taken a multifaceted approach
	       involving classical genetics, molecular genetics,
	       transcriptomics and genomics.  We have identified and
	       characterised a number of genes and polymorphic markers,
	       as well as developmental mutations that are linked to
	       the S locus.  Using these sequences and S locus-linked
	       mutant phenotypes we have developed a classical genetic
	       linkage map in Primula vulgaris, spanning the Primula S
	       locus and delineated by flanking markers.  Subsequent
	       construction and screening of BAC libraries has enabled
	       us to generate a BAC contig spanning the S locus and to
	       identify pin and thrum specific BACs.

	       Transcriptomic analysis of pin and thrum plants has
	       identified morph specific floral transcripts, and
	       transcriptomic and genomic analyses of linked mutations,
	       including Oakleaf, sepaloid and Hose in Hose has been
	       used to probe the molecular basis of these phenotypes.
	       In addition to these analyses we have undertaken de novo
	       genome sequencing of Primula vulgaris to generate a
	       reference genome and have used genome sequencing of
	       individual parents and pools of pin and thrum progeny to
	       define polymorphic markers surrounding the S locus.
	       Comparative genomic analyses are underway based on de
	       novo sequencing of the four additional UK native
	       species; P. veris, P. elatior, P. farinosa and P.
	       scotica.  We have, in parallel, undertaken a large scale
	       of plants derived from fast neutron bombarded P. veris
	       seed to identify long and short homostyle as well as
	       self compatible mutants.

	       We will present our most recent work arising from these
	       studies to highlight progress towards identifying the
	       genes that underpin Darwin’s descriptions of this
	       breeding system.