[Seminars] PSB event reminder

contact at psb.vib-ugent.be contact at psb.vib-ugent.be
Tue May 21 11:10:01 CEST 2013

Calendar Name: seminars
Scheduled for: Thursday, May 23 2013, 11:00 - 12:30
Event text:    Prof Ann Depicker

	       VIB, Dept. of Plant Systems Biology
	       Ghent University

	       Gent
	       BELGIUM
Details:       “Plant transgenes: integration, silencing and
	       overexpression”

	       ABSTRACT

	       Plant transgene expression group

	       I will describe the general picture of plant
	       transgenesis by presenting the latest results obtained
	       in the group on the integration and expression of
	       transgenes in plants. Although Agrobacterium mediated
	       transformation is widely used, the system is certainly
	       not completely understood and there are still many
	       unanswered questions.
	       A first big unknown is how and when the variable number
	       of T-DNA copies are integrated at random positions in
	       the plant chromosomes. However, using the new
	       recombination technologies, the target position and copy
	       number of transgenes can now better be controlled.
	       A second enigma is how a particular transgene may show
	       up to 1000 fold different expression levels in
	       independently obtained transformants. It became clear
	       that the transgene expression level is not only
	       controlled by its sequence such as the quality of the
	       promotor and transcript maturation signals but also by
	       the transgene insertion site, the copy number, genetic
	       background and several expression controlling
	       mechanisms. Studying transgenes, it was found that
	       chromatin modifications, DNA scanning mechanisms and
	       posttranscriptional control all modulate the expression
	       level. Particular determinants are inverted repeats and
	       thresholds for aberrantly processed transcripts in
	       nucleus and cytoplasm.. We will present 2 examples of
	       how various epigenetic mechanisms can change transgene
	       expression levels.
	       I will conclude by illustrating the application of plant
	       transgene expression for molecular farming of valuable
	       recombinant proteins. For this, we will focus on the
	       protective ability of IgA antibodies when provided in
	       the feed against enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli
	       infection in weaned piglets.