[BBC] BeneLearn and PMLS 2012: Deadline Extension

Willem Waegeman willem.waegeman at ugent.be
Thu Mar 1 11:37:54 CET 2012

EXTENSION OF THE SUBMISSION DEADLINE

*** The extended and final deadline for the submission of abstracts and
full papers is Monday March 12th, 2012 ***

BENELEARN 2012 -- PMLS 2012
The 21st annual Machine Learning Conference of Belgium and The Netherlands
Workshop Predictive Modeling for the Life Sciences

www.benelearn2012.ugent.be

May 24th and 25th, 2012
Ghent University, Belgium

Last Call for Abstracts and Full Papers

BeneLearn is the annual machine learning conference of Belgium and The
Netherlands.  It serves as a forum for researchers to exchange ideas,
present recent work, and foster collaboration in the broad field of
Machine Learning and its applications.

The 21st edition of the annual Belgian-Dutch Conference on Machine
Learning (BeneLearn) will be organized in Ghent, in conjunction with a
workshop on Predictive Modeling in Life Sciences (PMLS). This year we
have chosen for a two-day program to showcase the use of predictive
modeling in the life sciences. This is in part motivated by the
increasing focus on applicability of scientific research. The joint
event takes place on the 24th and 25th of May 2012 at the Faculty of
Bioscience Engineering of Ghent University. It is organized by the
research unit Knowledge-based Systems (KERMIT).

Keynote speakers

Ricardo Silva (Gatsby Unit, UCL) : Structured Copula Models in
Supervised and Unsupervised Learning
Peter Challenor (National Oceanography Centre UK): Climate, Models and
Uncertainty
Tijl De Bie (Univeristy of Bristol): Structured Output Prediction, from
Biology to Music

Scope

We invite the submission of abstracts or full papers on all aspects of
machine learning and related disciplines, including, but not limited to

Kernel Methods
Bayesian Learning
Case-based Learning
Ensemble Methods
Computational Learning Theory
Data Mining
Evolutionary Computation
Hybrid Learning Systems
Graphical Models
Inductive Logic Programming
Knowledge Discovery in Databases
Online Learning
Web/Link Mining
Learning in Multi-Agent Systems
Learning in Dynamic Domains  / Data Streams
Multi-Strategy Learning
Neural Networks
Reinforcement Learning
Robot Learning
Feature Selection and Dimensionality Reduction
Scientific Discovery
Multi-task and Transfer Learning
Statistical Learning
Ranking / Preference Learning / Information Retrieval
Computational models of Human Learning
Structured Output Prediction / Learning from Multi-Label Data
Learning for Language and Speech
Image, Video, Audio and Text Analysis
Applications of Machine Learning
Learning and Ubiquitous Computing

In addition to theoretical and applied work in machine learning in
general, we warmly welcome applications for the PMLS workshop, in areas
such as:
Bioinformatics
Medicine / Biomedical Engineering
Systems Biology / Microbiology
Chemometrics / Computational Drug Discovery
Ecology / Environmental Sciences
Agriculture and Soil Management
Food Sciences
Geographical Information Systems
Weather and Climate Forecasting

Submission

One can submit full papers up to 6 pages or one-page abstracts. Full
papers need to report original, unpublished work and they are meant for
researchers that prefer to obtain an official publication via BeneLearn,
including feedback from the program committee. Abstracts can also
concern work in progress and past published work, if the precise
references to the original publication are mentioned. This way we aim to
provide the same broad overview as in previous years, and make it
attractive and easy to attend by both senior as well as junior
researchers, from both academia and industry. To attract as many people
as possible, registration fees will be low and three international
speakers are invited for a keynote talk.

We consider a single submission procedure for the main conference and
its satellite workshop. The program committee will make a selection for
oral presentations among abstracts and full papers to ensure a program
that has academic quality but is also interesting and inspiring for the
attendees. The remainder of the submissions will be presented during a
poster session and poster spotlight presentations. Abstracts and papers
should be submitted electronically, no later than Friday March 12th,
2012. Notification of acceptance is on Friday April 6th. Please follow
the guidelines that are mentioned on our website:
http://www.benelearn2012.ugent.be/submission.php

During submission authors will be able to indicate their preference for
an oral or a poster presentation. Submissions that concern an
application in the life sciences will be considered for PMLS, all other
submissions will be considered for the main conference day.

Organizing Committee
Bernard De Baets, Michaël Rademaker, Willem Waegeman (UGent)

Bernard Manderick (VUB)